Last updated by Michelle Blagg-... on Mon, 04/09/2018 - 3:45pm
To elevate the teaching profession by increasing teacher compensation, support and recognition.
About the InternshipDuties:
Become part of a team that works together on classroom impact strategies that are data-driven and student-focused. Choose the role of Student Teacher, Teaching Assistant, or Tech Specialist (descriptions below). This approach takes teachers out of the traditional “stand in front of the room and lecture” classroom model and places them more in the role of a facilitator/coach/team manager.
Our goal is to launch two pilot versions of this model:
- in a self-contained 6th-8th grade class for students with learning disabilities at Granada East School
- in a 3rd grade class at Granada Primary School
This will provide us the opportunity to prove the efficacy of the model in both settings.
In all three positions, you will:
- Create positive educational climate for students to learn in
- Observe and evaluate student's performance and development
- Provide appropriate feedback on work
- Encourage and monitor the progress of individual students
- Ensure and communicate clear objectives for all learnilng activities
- Prepare & distribute required reports on students and activities
- Participate in extracurricular activities such as social activities “Meet the Team (Teacher) Day”, “Parent Team (Teacher) Conferences”
- Perform certain emotional duties including student support, counseling students with academic problems and providing student encouragement
- Read and stay abreast of current topics in education
- Suggest instructional resources for use in the classroom
- Suggest the utilization of various curriculum resources
- Integrate competencies, goals, and objectives into lessons
- Utilize curricula that reflect the diverse educational, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds of the students served
- Develop and foster professional relationships
- Work with program coordinators to ensure initiatives are being met
- Work independently and collaboratively with colleagues
- Participate in department, school and parent meetings relevant to position
- Behave in a professional manner at all times, realizing that punctuality, reliability, initiative, and attitude toward teaching are important aspects professional responsibility and evaluation
- Ensure and communicate clear objectives for all learning activities
- Respect the student as a person; recognize the worth of each student; recognize what is reasonable to expect from students in terms of maturity, motivation, and ability and temper language to suit the classroom environment.
- Maintain a professional relationship with all students without exception
- Examine his/her attitudes toward and expectations of the students
- Adopt monitoring and discipline procedures as suggested by the cooperating teacher, so that the on-going work of the class will not be disrupted
- Recognize the confidential nature of student information (including observations of behavior, achievement data, disciplinary measures, etc.) and assume the responsibility for handling confidential information
- Participate in activities necessary to maintain classroom integration and to support in all curricula activities, which include classroom, community, vocational, and recreational/leisure as directed
- Be a positive influence on the students and believe in every child in their classroom
- Assist in all aspects of the daily instructional program of all students and must be aware that student teaching is a primary responsibility, and that attendance and preparation should reflect the seriousness of this responsibility
- Develop schems of work and lessong plans
- Grade class work, homework, tests and assignments
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures
- Maintain discipline in accordance with the rules and disciplinary systems of the school
- Keep updated with developments in subject area, teaching resources and methods and make relevant suggestions to instructional plans and activities
- Plan and prepare instructional activities
- Assist in all aspects of the daily instructional program of all students and may be responsible for small group instruction under the direct or indirect supervision of the teacher
- Provide support to children with mathematics, reading and writing on an individual, class or small group basis
- Prepare classroom for class activities
- Support and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment
TECHNOLOGY INTEGRATION SPECIALIST
- Assist in the direction of the Classroom Support Team (CST) based on data collection and promotes the use of technologies to support student achievement in the classroom
- Serve as a liaison between the student, CST, classroom data collected, and school and district data
- Develop and offer technology education and support for the teacher, teacher assistant and student teacher
- Assist in the development and implementation of technology-based lessons, instructional management and productivity functions
- Collaborate with the CST to support, manage and optimize the use of instructional software, and network resources to support quality teaching and learning
- Develop technology to support instruction
Title I school youth, 8-13 years old.
The current classroom model is not putting teachers or students in the position for optimum success. We believe the Classroom Support Team approach will produce greater results. We are ultimately attempting to propose a new way to deliver instruction: to take the current “one size fits all” approach with the teacher standing in front of a class of students and lecturing and transform that to a more student-focused approach by surrounding the teacher with a team.
The impact of this model will come from us proving the validity of the model on student achievement. The aim of the pilot is to collect student achievement data in relation to the approach to assess the impact. If proven successful we would look to replicate the model in another school or in the same school for another year to compare results.
We hope to have a positive impact on the education of our children for the betterment of our community through the fostering the development of future productive and fulfilled adult citizens.