Last updated by Caitlin Gaspar on Mon, 01/21/2019 - 7:38pm
To prevent the global spread of HIV through education and volunteerism.
About the InternshipDuties:
Work with IAPA staff to build community relationships in order to deliver the HIV/AIDS Prevention Outreach Program. IAPA is based in Mesa, Arizona and the primary programmatic focus since 2006 to provide prevention programs in Chennai, India. The Intern will take the existing program and customize it for delivery in the United States.
At least 60% of your time will be spent providing direct services. You will:
- Assist with cultivating relationships throughout the community in order to deliver HIV/AIDS prevention in Maricopa County
- Receive training on how to deliver the Prevention Outreach Program
- Participate in meetings with community members
- Participate in meetings with Board of Directors
- Schedule HIV/AIDS prevention presentations
- Present the HIV/AIDS prevention program to the target audience
- Assist with the annual IAPA fundraising dinner – Hope in the Face of AIDS
- Assist staff with preparing grant requests for the HIV/AIDS Prevention Outreach Program
You will work to develop relationships with organizations that are currently not being targeted in the Phoenix Metropolitan area by other AIDS Service organizations in order to conduct HIV/AIDS Prevention trainings. This will include but is not limited to college campuses, domestic violence shelters, senior centers and communities, veterans organizations and homeless shelters.
According to the Center for Disease Control An estimated 1.2 million people in the United States are living with HIV, including 156,300 people who do not know they are infected. Each year, nearly 45,000 people are diagnosed with HIV, and 30% of new HIV infections are transmitted by people who are living with undiagnosed HIV. For those who are living with undiagnosed HIV, testing is the first step in maintaining a healthy life and reducing the spread of HIV.
IAPA is serving the community with the HIV/AIDS Prevention Outreach Program to provide information to educate those in the community about the disease and prevent the spread of the infection. IAPA is part of the UNAIDS 90-90-90-0 initiative in Arizona. 90-90-90-0 by 2030 - 90% HIV tested, 90% on meds, 90% undetectable and Zero stigma.