Last updated by Tim Knuck on Tue, 06/30/2020 - 12:00pm
About the InternshipDuties:
“Support youth in a K-8th grade classroom by assisting the classroom teacher with different instructional activities.
Duties of this position include but are not limited to:
• Assisting the teacher with maintaining a classroom environment conducive to effective learning.
• Assisting with duties that require movement of students to areas on campus.
• Maintaining classroom environment conducive to effective learning by utilizing approved school-wide classroom management techniques as needed.
• Utilizing the Discipline Referral Flow Chart in documenting and processing behavior issues.
• Follow approved schedules and procedures for starting and ending classes, and the transitioning of students.
• Understand all fire drill and lock down procedures.
Knowledge of Subject Matter:
• Communicating accurate knowledge of subject matter in a comprehensible manner using language and style appropriate to the learner.
• Applying concepts, laws, and rules relevant to subject matter.
• Demonstrating a breadth of subject matter knowledge that enables students to approach and relate topics from a variety of perspectives, interests, and points of view.
• Using the current references, materials, and technologies of the subject field in a manner appropriate to the developmental stage of the learner.
• Demonstrating the ability to check student comprehension of subject matter and providing accurate feedback to students.
Planning For Instruction:
• Assisting the teacher with the design of the academic program based on the assessed needs of students.
• Assisting the teacher with preparation and implementation of lesson plans for students based on assessed needs and in accordance with the Academy’s philosophy and curriculum system.
Delivery of Instruction:
• Providing academic assistance and support for individual and/or small groups of intervention students.
• Assisting the teacher with effective utilization of media and technology.
• Be available to step in as lead instructor in the absence of the lead classroom teacher.
Assessment of Student Performance:
• Assisting the teacher with administration of appropriate assessments designed to measure student progress.
• Assisting the teacher with evaluating student progress on a regular basis and
providing feedback to students.
• Establishing and maintaining cooperative relations with other employees.
• Assisting the teacher with establishing and maintaining open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning academic and behavioral progress of assigned students.
• Assisting the teacher with preparing progress reports to school personnel and parents.
• Utilizing approved methods and forms for out-of-classroom referrals.
Professional Development Program:
• Continuing professional growth through educational in-service, meetings, and required trainings.
• Assisting with climate counseling of students when available.
• Assisting the teacher with taking necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, materials, equipment and facilities.
The students will be working the students at our school. Our school is a Title 1 school located in the heart of Mesa. We serve students in grades K-8. We have 55% hispanic, 3% two or more ethnicities, 15% African American, .04% Pacific Islanders, and 35% White.
The student intern will be providing extra support to the students and staff in the classrooms during thier internship time.
The interns will have a positive impact on the population served by providing our students with extra support, tutoring and a positive role model.