Last updated by Tim Knuck on Tue, 06/30/2020 - 12:02pm
To assist every student with autism to be equipped and able to achieve academic, social, and behavioral excellence in an environment centered on strong character values
About the InternshipDuties:
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Implement our school’s Building Blocks and Mission every day
- Assist in developing, writing, and implementing student's IEPs
- Be Knowledgeable about all student IEP information
- Work collaboratively with a team of teachers and staff to help students achieve their daily goals
- Write and maintain all information and data collection forms in each student's communication and personal information binders
- Assist students with daily assignments and tasks and clarify direction when needed
- Attend and participate in all required meetings
- Maintain a positive, supportive, and engaging learning environment at all times
- Maintain ongoing communication with each student's Homeroom Teacher, and parents when applicable
- Develop and implement strategies to encourage group work and collaboration when applicable
At the Autism Academy. we specialize in providing education to all K-12 students on the Autism Spectrum. Our adaptive curriculum enables students with autism to transition in both the classroom and in life. Smaller class sizes maximize individual attention.
At the Autism Academy, we offer customized programming specifically designed to meet individual needs. We connect each child’s education together one piece at a time, like a perfectly positioned puzzled. No other academy in the state of Arizona provides the kind of support, success, and strategic planning for students with autism.
Our standards-based, research-driven curriculum challenges and nurtures education, imagination, and creativity. Music, Art, Social Skills, Life Skills, Adaptive PE, and Technology are all incorporated into our routine schedules. Occupational and Speech Language therapies are provided by certified, with experience, therapists. Each campus has a safe sensory room for tranquility. Students also engage in group and individual activities in a secure outside play area or indoor gymnasium.
Since 2004, Laura Newcomb, the founder, has been a special education director. Throughout her experience, she recognized a significant academic need in the autism community. The Autism Academy is a reflection of her spirit of excellence. The school provides exceptional curriculum-based instruction for students with autism.
Families relocating from other states to enroll in the program motivated owner Laura Newcomb. She expanded the program throughout the Phoenix-metro area accelerating the learning of students with autism. Laura has always had one passion, and that is to provide excellent programming for students with special needs. The Newcomb’s passion and legacy of educating special needs children is etched into the history of the autism community forever.
During the time spent at Autism Academy, Service Learning Interns will have the ability to work side by side with teachers that share Newcomb's passion and provide exceptional learning experiences for our students. Our mission is to assist every student with autism to be equipped and able to achieve academic, social, and behavioral excellence in an environment centered on strong character values.